Butterflies at Brookside Gardens Photography Workshop
DATE: August 21, 2016
TIME: 7:00 – 10:00am
LOCATION: Brookside Gardens, 1800 Glenallan Ave, Wheaton, MD 20902
COST: $109 (price includes $30 ticket for the "before hours" pass)
WORKSHOP SIZE: maximum 8
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Light. Easy walking on paved paths.
REGISTRATION: register with the Capital Photography Center
Join us for a special morning of photographing butterflies at Brookside Gardens. We’ll have special access to the butterflies for two hours before the conservatory opens to the public. You’ll be able to use tripods and not have to work around crowds of people.
We’ll begin outside with a discussion of techniques and settings for butterfly photography, as well as some close-up garden photography. When it’s our time with the butterflies we’ll be prepped and ready to go, maximizing our butterfly experience.
- Critical placement of focus
- Equipment options for close-ups
- Subject selection
- Creative techniques
- Dynamic backgrounds
- Maximizing depth of field
- Telephoto lens(es) covering the range 100-300mm
- Close-up equipment: A telephoto lens alone may not get you close enough. Bring a macro lens and/or close-up accessories such as extension tubes or screw-on close-up lens.
- Polarizing filter
- Extra battery for your camera
- Extra memory card
- Optional: external flash unit
- Optional: diffusers and reflectors for garden photography