Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens Photography Workshop
DATE: July 5, 2014
TIME: 6:30 – 10:00am
LOCATION: Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens
1550 Anacostia Ave NE
Washington, DC 20019
WORKSHOP SIZE: minimum 4, maximum 10
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Light. Walking on dirt paths and grassy areas, all flat terrain.
Summer is prime time for photographing lotuses. At Kenilworth you'll see a sea of pink and white blossoms filling large ponds. From buds to full blossoms to seed pods each form of the lotus offers photographic possibilities. Lotuses can be used as subjects or backdrops; even the lotus leaves are also excellent subjects. Shoot the details of the leaves to capture shadow and vein patterns. There are also ponds of hardy and tropical water lilies. Wildlife is common too; you're likely to see herons, dragonflies and frogs.
During the workshop Corey will share photo tips, demonstrate shooting techniques and offer ideas for how to capture your best shots. He can help you with camera settings, as well as your creative vision. You'll also have the opportunity to receive immediate feedback on your technique and compositions.
Workshops give you the opportunity to put your skills into practice, as well as learn photo techniques for creating images with impact. A small group size allows everyone to receive individual attention.
All instruction for this workshop takes place in the field. There will not be an indoor lecture/presentation.
Camera: Digital camera with interchangeable lenses (DSLR or mirrorless)
Lenses: Both telephoto and macro lenses will be useful as photographing at Kenilworth is about isolating details from the larger scene. You may find greater use for the telephoto lens, as it's not always possible to get really close to the lotuses. A wide angle lens isn't needed as this is not a location for photographing scenes and landscapes.
For close-ups, accessories such as extension tubes and screw-on close-up lenses will be useful if you don't own a macro lens, but a telephoto lens is adequate even if you don't have these.
- Diffuser and reflectors for controlling the light for close-up photos. There will be some available to borrow.
- Filters: Polarizer
- More than 14 days before the event: Full refund minus $5 cancellation fee. If payment is credited toward to another event there is no cancellation fee.
- 7-14 days before the event: Full payment is credited toward to another event.
- Less than seven days before the event: No refund or credit.
- If no cancellation notice is given there is no refund or credit.
- If the event is cancelled (due to low enrollment, weather, or other unforeseen circumstances), you can choose to receive a full refund or credit. The event may be rescheduled, however there is no obligation to attend.