Springtime at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens Photography Workshop
DATE: April 8, 2017
TIME: 7:00 – 10:00am
LOCATION: 9750 Meadowlark Gardens Ct, Vienna, Virginia 22182
WORKSHOP SIZE: maximum 10
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Light. Walking on paved paths and grassy areas, mostly flat.
REGISTRATION: Register with Capital Photography Center
Enjoy a morning wandering through Meadowlark's extensive gardens before they're open to the public. The gardens are coming to life with flower beds packed with tulips in a multitude of colors, along with other spring flowers. Photographing first thing in the morning we'll be able to capture garden scenes bathed in soft warm light, along with lakes, a fountain and a gazebo. At Meadowlark you can always find fresh photographic material, from landscape details to flower close-ups. The plant life offers opportunities for fine detail photographs as well as dreamy artistic compositions. We will explore ways to combine shape, texture and color into creative compositions.
Throughout the workshop Corey will work with participants individually to answer questions, clarify concepts and suggest ways to infuse creativity into their images. He will also share photo tips and demonstrate shooting techniques.
- Emphasizing details to show off textures and patterns
- Using depth of field for creative effect
- Modifying light with diffusers and reflectors
- Isolating elements of a landscape
- Composition techniques for maximum impact
- Using perspective to make dynamic photographs
- DSLR or mirrorless camera
- Lens(es) covering the range 18-200mm
- Close-up equipment: macro lens, extension tubes or screw-on close-up lenses. A telephoto lens is adequate if you don't have this equipment.
- Optional: diffuser and reflectors